It’s such a shame we didn’t get to see this side of Will Levis when he was playing for Penn State. Now that he’s with Kentucky, Levis has made news recently for big reasons on the field, but also for a viral video that is flat out bananas.
We won’t mess around here, since if you’re reading this, you came here to see the video.
So, here it is: Levis eating a banana — and a grotesque-looking one with lots of brown spots at that — complete, including the peel.
Yes, he’s eating the ENTIRE banana.
Does your QB1 eat bananas like this? pic.twitter.com/as5XArSc3W
— Shawn Smith (@gbbcountry) August 16, 2021
The TikTok video has caught on big time, particularly because Levis was just named Kentucky’s starting quarterback over the weekend.
The text at the bottom of the video reads: “I don’t fear the brown spots on bananas. They fear me. #menacetosociety”
Levis was Penn State’s backup quarterback last season, then got a chance to start one game against Iowa after Sean Clifford’s continued struggles. Levis decided to go elsewhere for a chance to start, and he won the job at Kentucky.
Having covered sports for 30 years, I’m often asked what it’s like to get to know athletes. But the truth is, it’s usually very difficult to really get to know athletes, because the athlete-media relationship isn’t really designed for that.
It’s easier in baseball, when you’re around guys every day and clubhouses are open.
It’s extremely difficult in college football, where most media interactions are done by conference call or, starting last season, by Zoom.
Reporters don’t think to ask a college football player on Zoom how he eats a banana. Maybe that will change going forward!
Anyway, it’s not just the banana thing that makes Levis interesting. He’s apparently a pretty funny guy, as illustrated by some of the following quotes from his Kentucky bio page:
- He chose Kentucky because he felt very connected to the coaches and their collective vision for the program, and for a chance to compete for a conference and national championship
- After football, his dream job is to be stay-at-home dad with a wife who earns six figures
- He calms butterflies before a game by going through visualization and breathing exercises as well as listening to pre-2012 Justin Bieber
- One thing most people don’t know about him is that he is a very good singer, but he only sings in the shower (there are prime acoustics in the shower)
- The best advice he’s ever received was from his late grandfather who would end almost every conversation with “never give up”